Spouse Visa UK
A Spouse visa UK, also known as a Partner visa, is a route to the settlement that allows you to join and live with your married partner permanently in the UK. To apply for a UK Spouse visa, your partner must be a British citizen or has, Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), pre-settled status or settled status in the UK. We deal with all types of family visa applications including Spouse visa extension, switching to a Spouse visa and more. We can guide you through your UK Spouse visa application process.
What is a Spouse visa UK?
UK Spouse visa, also known as a Marriage visa, allows you to join your partner in the UK if you are a spouse of a British citizen or a settled person in the UK.If you are applying from outside to enter the UK on a Spouse visa, you must be married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, or a person with Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR), pre-settled status, settled status, or refugee status. A Spouse visa entry clearance application is normally granted under the 5 years route to settlement if you are meeting all the requirements under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. The initial leave will be granted for 2.5 years.
Spouse visa applications
If you want to apply, extend, or switch to a UK Spouse visa, we can provide legal assistance for any type of Spouse visa application.
How to apply for a Spouse visa UK?
You can apply for a UK Spouse visa online or get expert legal advice/assistance for your Spouse visa application from us. For a successful UK Spouse visa application, you must meet all the requirements under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules and submit all the documents.
The steps for a UK Spouse visa application are as follows:
UK spouse visa application forms
Spouse visa entry clearance application
If you are applying for a Spouse visa from outside the UK to join your sponsor in the UK as a spouse/partner, you make a Spouse visa entry clearance application by completing this online form.
Applying for a Spouse visa from inside the UK
You can apply for a UK spouse visa from inside the UK by using this current form online.
Form FLR(FP) to extend Spouse visa based on family or private life
You need to use form FLR(FP) to extend your stay in the UK on the basis of your family life as a partner, parent or dependent child or on the basis of your private life in the UK.
Spouse visa UK (10-year route)
You can apply, extend, or switch to a UK Spouse visa under a 10-year route if you do not meet all the requirements of Appendix FM of the immigration rules. Mostly, the applicants who cannot meet the English language requirement or financial requirement of earning £18,600 gross per year would apply for switching to a Spouse visa 10-year route. Under a 10-year route, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) after spending 10 years on a spouse visa. In the meantime, if you meet the Appendix FM requirements, you can switch to 5 years spouse visa route anytime.
What are the requirements for a UK Spouse visa?
The main requirements for a UK Spouse visa application are as follows:
- Both, you and your partner must be 18 or over;
- You need to prove that your relationship is genuine and you intend to live together permanently in the UK;
- You need to meet the financial requirements to prove that you can support your family without seeking public funds;
- You must meet the requirement of adequate accommodation;
- You must satisfy the English language requirements to prove your knowledge of the English language.
You must meet all other requirements depending on your circumstances.
Spouse visa financial requirements
To meet the financial requirements of a UK Spouse visa application, you and your partner must have a combined income of at least £18,600 a year. You need to meet this income threshold requirement if you want to settle in the UK within 5 years.
If you need to prove extra money for your children, you’ll need to earn an extra:
- £3,800 a year for your first child
£2,400 a year for each child you have after your first child
English language requirement
You may need to meet the English language requirement for the UK Spouse visa application if you are from a non-English-speaking country. You may be exempt from taking or passing the English language test.You can prove your knowledge of the English language with an academic qualification, or by passing an approved English language test.
A1 English test for Spouse visa
For your first visa application, you must pass at least level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.
Documents required for a UK Spouse visa
Below is a general list of documents required for a UK Spouse visa application:
- Valid current passport;
- Proof that your relationship is genuine;
- Evidence of meeting the financial requirements;
- Evidence of meeting the adequate accommodation requirement;
- Proof of meeting the English language requirement;
Details of any criminal convictions.
UK Spouse visa extension
Switching from a Spouse visa 10-year route to a 5-year route
You can switch to a Spouse visa 5-year route anytime if have leave to remain as a spouse under the 10-year route and you meet all the requirements of Appendix FM of the immigration rules. If you do switch to the Spouse visa 5-year route from the 10-year route, then any time spent on the 10-year route will not count towards your qualifying period for ILR
UK Spouse visa refusal & appeal
If your UK spouse visa application has been refused and you think the spouse visa refusal is unlawful, then you may be able to appeal against the decision.
Reasons for spouse visa refusal
Your UK Spouse visa application can be refused for several reasons but the most common reasons for UK Spouse visa refusals are as listed below:
- Failed to meet the minimum income requirements of Spouse visa application.
- Failed to prove that your relationship is genuine and subsisting.
- Failed to meet the English language requirement.
- Made a mistake on a Spouse visa application form or used the wrong form.
- Missing or incorrect supporting documents or submitted false documents.
Failed to disclose past criminal convictions in your application.
UK Spouse visa processing time
Currently, the UK Spouse visa application processing time is up to 24 weeks if applying from outside the UK. Time starts from the date of your appointment at the visa application centre. You should usually get a decision on your Spouse visa within 8 weeks if applying from inside the UK.
UK Spouse visa fees
The fee for a UK spouse visa application is £1,538 if you are applying from outside the UK and £1,048 for inside applications. It does not include Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS). If your application is made outside the UK. Other costs include Immigration Healthcare Surcharge £624 for each year and biometric fee £19.20.
Please note the fees will change from the 4th October 2023 up by 20% from £1,538 to £1,846
How much is the health surcharge for a spouse visa?
You might need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘Immigration Health Surcharge‘- IHS) as part of your immigration application. Click here to find out the latest Family visa fees and Healthcare surcharges.
Rose Law Solicitors will:
- Provide detailed immigration advice.
- Assess your personal circumstances and eligibility for a UK Family visa.
- Assess the eligibility of your sponsor.
- Explain the entire UK Family visa application process.
- Give you a completed checklist of documents according to the type of visa application and your circumstances.
- Check all the supporting documents to ensure that they are sufficient and in the correct format.
- Fill out the complete application form and prepare detailed representations/cover letters for the Home Office UKVI in reference to the Immigration Rules.
- Book an appointment for you to enrol your biometrics.
- Upload all the supporting documents.
- Liaise with the Home Office UKVI throughout the process until we receive the decision.
Keep you updated with every stage of your application.
Our fees from:
Our fees for spouse visa from £1500.
Kindly note that VAT is not applicable as we are not a vat registered company
Please read our About Us page for more about Rosy Chanders experience.